Thursday, December 3, 2009

Jan's Art Journal



We recently returned from a trip to Tanzania. A trip to Africa is mind changing. I sketched along the way, but it's not easy to sketch people or animals when they are constantly on the move. Sketching is a wonderful way to really look. I used pen and then went over some of them with watercolor pencil.

The first picture is sketches I did while on a game drive. The animals are cape buffalo and elephants. Central Africa has been experiencing drought conditions for several years. It has taken its toll on the people and the animals. The Massai man was our nature guide on a hike at the foothills of Mt. Kilimanjaro. The mountain is referred to as the "Shy Lady" because she doesn't show herself. We never saw the mountain until we were headed to the airport!

1 comment:

Lynda Schumacher said...

That must have been an absolutely amazing trip Jan. Wonderful sketches! I will make a point to find you and chat at an upcoming AAWA function or show......tho I think I know who you are, it will be interesting to see if I'm right!