Thursday, December 10, 2009

Jan's Art Journal


Continuation of sketches from our Tanzania Safari.

As I sit at my computer in the "frozen" north, I can't help but recall the warm, bright days in Tanzania. Being so close to the equator, there is little variation in the length of their days. The colors are so vivid. The sunrises and sunsets are exquisite. The Christmas tree lights here adds some color to the gray days.

I call this sketch The Honeymooners. I was able to sketch the lion couple because they are resting up between "rounds," if you get my drift. The honeymoon activities are continuous for 4 to 7 days, depending. During the honeymoon the relationship in monogamous, then it's on to the next bride in the king's harem.

Since I had the luxury of still models, I filled in the background. Now I actually have a finished composition. Even though it was dusk the colors were still vivid. We overstayed our visit. A sudden downpour slowed our progress to camp. The word slow on the park roads take on a special meaning during a storm. Anglebert drove around huge ponds that seemed to come out of nowhere. We sure didn't want to spend the night with the lions! What a ride!

No comments: