Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Jan's Art Journal


Since I took Patti Casteel's Sketchbook Workshop, I am focusing on "seeing" every day. I've gotten hung up on doing a "project" rather than focusing on creating art. I would tell myself that I don't have an afternoon to devote to art, and the afternoon would go somewhere.

Sketching doesn't require that kind of commitment. Just carry a sketchbook, a pen, pencil, etc and when you have a few minutes, sketch. It doesn't matter what it is-animal, vegetable or mineral. Just sketch. It's amazing what we see when we stay focused for a few minutes.

If there are any creative folks out there who never have time to "do" art, get a sketchbook and get sketching. Be sure to date the work and journal right on the page. Write whatever you want. Share or not to share is the question.

I thought I would post one of my first paintings. It's a watercolor. Most of us don't want to share our really bad work, and I have to honestly admit I haven't taken photos of my REALLY BAD STUFF.

No comments: